The way there

In Dunedin this was the setup and location of the tent where we spent a week. It was a nice quiet spot but if we needed to use the toilet at night, it was a good 80 metres away so you had to be quick!

Our tent at Dunedin

On the 1st of April, we had the day to drive to Christchurch which meant pretty much a full day of driving. There was not much to see on the way except for the Moeraki Boulders. These are weird dome shaped rocks on a beach. It would have been great to do some long exposures at dawn at these rocks but since we were on a clock, a quick stop was all we could afford.

View of the Moeraki Boulders View of the Moeraki Boulders

View of the Moeraki Boulders View of the Moeraki Boulders View of the Moeraki Boulders

For lunch we stopped at Ashburton and Fem called the Drake agency to let them know that she will now be based in Christchurch rather than Dunedin. They responded by saying that they might already have some work available and for her to see them the next day. So before we arrived, Fem practically already had a job! This was great news and put us both in a happy mood for the rest of the day. Another thing I learnt from Ashburton is that a hokey pokey milkshake tastes like crap. (Hokey pokey is kiwi for honeycomb.. like the crunchie chocolate bar)


By the end of the day we arrived in Christchurch and eventually set up camp at a local holiday park (a few were full). I was surprised by how friendly people were at the camp. A lot of travellers end up in Christchurch before they fly back to their home countries so each morning we were there we had people bringing in bags of leftover and unused food saying “who wants this? free food!” before they left the country. We got a lot of good freebies which was nice!

On the 2nd of April, Fem got a job as an office admin at the Christchurch city council and we found a place to live for the next 4 months! Its a modern studio apartment just minutes from the city with all the basics that we needed. We were so happy to be out of the tent at last! The following day we packed up the tent for the last time (hooray!) and fem started her job and I had to set up our place by myself and got our Internet sorted out.

I started looking for work as well, and registered with various agencies. I had a few interviews and some possible leads, but they were all taking their time getting back to me (interviewing other people etc). 2 week later Mandalay (my old work) offered me remote casual work to continue on my old projects so I accepted that. The only issue was that I was now sleeping, eating and working in the same room! But now we were both working and settled into a routine again.

So now the frantic pace has slowed a bit after the last 2 months. Magnum just sits in his carpark for most of the time now. We just work and save and are starting to plan little excursions out and about each weekend to explore the area. The weather is cool, but not as cold as I was expecting. Probably will start to get more colder in June and July.

Fem joined a female rugby team to just go to their training sessions so she keeps fit. Through this team they recommended a physio. We both went there for our knee issues. The physio had a cheap deal for the local gym for 3 month membership which was perfect given we had roughly 3 months left of our time in Christchurch. So now I am going to gym three times a week to keep me fit and also to maintain my sanity by getting me out of the room!

Published by

Matt Corr

Tall dude.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *